This 3-hour presentation looks at the culture within boards of directors to troubleshoot barriers to recruitment, retainment, and engagement of people of color. We will begin by exploring internal factors, from white cloning to tokenism, that preclude board membership of people of color. Then, we will brainstorm outward facing policies and practices to encourage authentic engagement and develop allyship with communities of color. Participants will be presented with tools to develop a strategic roadmap to make diversity, equity and inclusion central to the Board’s decision making processes.
- Recognize the benefits of diverse boards
- Identify past and present barriers to racial inclusion
- Identify policies and practices to center racial equity
- Use a Racial Equity Impact Assessment Tool for recruitment and strategic planning
- Use assessments to identify agency, client and community needs
- Develop meaningful partnerships and engage in allyship with communities of color